This document contains suggested competencies for use in counseling with transgender clients. These competencies are geared toward professionally trained counselors who work with transgender individuals, families, groups, or communities. These competencies are based on a wellness (e.g., Myers & Sweeney, 2005), resilience (Singh, Hays, & Watson, in press), and strength-based approach (e.g., Bockting, Knudson & Goldberg, 2007; Carroll, 2010; Lev, 2004; Vanderburgh, 2007) for working with transgender clients. The authors of these competencies come from diverse theoretical and professional backgrounds in working with transgender clients, advocating for transgender communities, and having relationships with transgender people.
- Coping strategies for dealing with natural disasters/pandemics
- How to support yourself during times of social isolation
- Impulses: How do you deal with resisting impulses?
- Values: How to identify your 3 core values and how this helps with your recovery journey
- Stigma in Counselling: What is it and how can we overcome it?